Hello, again! It’s week 5 of the One Room Challenge and this week was all about trying to get all those little finishing touches done.
If you’re new here. Hi! I’m Melissa. I live in Madison, WI with my family and we are currently updating our 1970’s ranch home.
Last week I framed a ton of art and now this week I decided I needed to figure out how I wanted to arrange the gallery wall.
After pounding one too many nails into the walls to “ just see how it looked”, I ended up spackling over all the holes and coming up with a (hopefully) much better system to plan out the art arrangement.
Paper cutouts! As you can see it’s very scientific. Haha! But I think this may help me before I go crazy with the hammer again.
This is just one version of a layout. It will probably look nothing like this in the end. And right now we’re debating whether we should put a tv in the room or not. I mean, it would be nice, RIGHT?! I feel like there would be no greater luxury than watching the Real Housewives from bed. But, Max doesn’t feel the same way. So there is no final decision yet on this “design element”.
Adding Fabric Cord to Sconce
In my lighting post a few weeks ago I showed you how I was fixing up an old sconce for the room. I originally re-wired it with a white cord and didn’t love it. So I decided to get some fabric cord to pretty-up the external wiring of the sconce.
Color Cord sells all kinds of DIY lamp parts. I spent a lot of time on their site browsing all their products. The possibilities are endless! I immediately started dreaming up some other light fixtures I could make for the house. But then I snapped out of it and decided to stick to the plan and got 3 feet of black fabric cord and a plug end.
I’m not an electrician by any means. Everything I know I’ve learned from the internet. So, to specifically re-wire lamps with fabric cord I found some great tutorials on Instructables:
I think it looks a lot better with the fabric cord rather than having the white wire hanging there. But I ran out of light today so there’s no photo evidence of this installed yet. You’ll just have to trust me on this one for now.
I also spent a little too much time this week fussing over window treatments. And I may have went a little crazy with a steamer on the drapes. But it was pretty satisfying to see the wrinkles finally come out. And hopefully it will be well worth the effort.
In my Week 1 ORC post I also talked about how I was thinking about getting a new shade for the window in our room. But I said it would depend on the budget. Well, I’m happy to report that I was able to find some that were very reasonably priced on Overstock! So, I ordered a new bamboo one for the room and it finally arrived today.
You never know exactly what you may get when ordering online. But I’m actually very happy with the color. I was a little worried it would be too dark but I think it’s going to work well with our flooring.
Unfortunately, I didn’t get a chance to fully install the shade this afternoon. It’s actually about a 1/2 inch too big for the window (the sizes only came in full inch widths). So before the reveal next week I’m going to have to figure out a way to trim it just a tad. I’m a little nervous about that (tips welcome!). Otherwise, I may have to order one that’s an inch shorter and hope that it shows up in time to install for next week!
And that’s where we’re at right now. It feels like I didn’t achieve much this week. But I think that’s because this is the point that is so tough in the whole makeover process. All those little final details can be a lot more time consuming than they actually seem.
Thanks for following along on my first One Room Challenge journey. If you want to see all my One Room Challenge posts for this room click here! And please make sure to check out all of the featured designers as well as the guest participants of the One Room Challenge!