Summer is upon us! And that means the very first fruits and veggies of the season will soon be ready. Rhubarb is always one of the first to arrive. And it’s always one of those plants that leaves you a bit confused. It grows like a weed and I never seem to know what to do with it all.
I never ate much rhubarb growing up. And I’m still not even sure if it’s a fruit or a vegetable.
I’m serious though. Someone please tell me. Is it a fruit or a vegetable? Because it tastes like a fruit but it looks like a vegetable.
Anyway, for my first attempt of the season I’ve made a sweet and tangy barbecue sauce. Perfect for some summer grilling!
- 3 cups rhubard, diced
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 3 tbsp raspberry jam
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp, ginger finely chopped
- 1 dash olive oil
- Place garlic and ginger in a medium sauce pan with a dash of olive oil and cook until garlic is slightly browned.
- Add all other ingredients to the sauce pan. Place on medium heat and bring ingredients to a simmer. Simmer approximately 20 minutes or until rhubarb is soft and tender. Remove from heat.
- Use immersion blender (or transfer to blender) and blend until smooth.
- Keep refrigerated in sealed container. Lasts approximately 1-2 weeks.